Popular Posts

Friday, March 11, 2011

Super-Powers

Give a listen to This American Life's podcast 178: SUPERPOWERS



The gist of the program is whether or not you would like to have the power of flight or the power of invisibility. It's really more about what the choice reveals about the person making the selection. If you're prone to flight you have a free-spirited personality, if you pick invisibility then you tend to be more shy. No one, it seems, chooses to use either power to fight crime (The interviewer must never actually ask the question to people who do fight crime). Personally I tend to lean toward the flight side. And on a day like today when a tragedy has struck Hawaii and Japan, I hope I would use it help people. There are probably more ways I could help people now, but I think I do what I can.


The power I would pick though is more selfish. I'd choose the power to compose and perform beautiful music on a super-human or supernatural level. I would spend my days writing and playing music I can only dream of now. I would play for others if they wanted to hear it, but I wouldn't strive for fame or stardom, since I would know the music I was making was inhumanly good. If I was the only person to ever hear it I would still be satisfied with it. I write songs I don't really intend to play for other people now, but they have reached their ceiling from a technical standpoint, and I haven't written new songs in a long, long time.

But if I had that power, my songs would never, ever hit their ceiling, and I could write and play and create music forever. If you're wondering if I would still appreciate the music I was creating if it came with no effort, no work on my part, I seriously don't know. Maybe its really overcoming the struggle to create something that matters. Maybe anything given without cost has no value. But I think I love music enough that I would still enjoy going along for the ride.

Here's a picture of a super-hero who actually has this power.
I assure you I am not making this up....

His name is Koryphos, and he actually did appear in a few Marvel comics (Mostly in the '80s), though never as a lead character. He's part of an immortal race of beings who survive eternally (Hence their name Eternals) by focusing on a single interest that propels their longevity. Kory here is an Eternal musician who inspired the legend of Orpheus in Ancient Greece. He has songs that last over a year in length.

In comic terms he's called a "Mort", which basically means dead on arrival. Here his costume is bad, his power doesn't translate well to a soundless medium like comic books, and his name lacks a strong connection to his concept (the problem is the name Orpheus is difficult to warp around into something recognizable with out sounding filthy). The fact that I even vaguely remembered him (I had a tough time finding a picture of him since I couldn't remember his name for the life of me). I would love his power, but no, I wouldn't want to be him.

It's  not the most kick-ass superpower, I admit. But music is a part of the creative process that seems to me to be the most "god-given". We discover it like a physical location rather than process we intentionally work toward. In fact, it is a process, and you do have to work at it, and there are formulas and methods that you learn and use to write music. But after it's done, it all seems so magical.

No comments:

Post a Comment